If you are a Prague Basket reader who currently lives in Prague, you will understand when I say winter has taken a turn… not for the worse, but to a stand still! If you read from other places in the world, let me paint you a quick picture: this morning, we woke up to melted snow, streets glistening with the shimmer of a light rain, and a temperature that seems like Spring should be here tomorrow. But the weather reports say there will be more cold temperatures and another snowfall in our near future… it is like a weather yo-yo and it is only the last day of January.
Initially, when I saw the weather forecast for this week, I thought to myself, “oh no, we still have one more winter soup to feature!” But then as I sat on my couch for two days, feeling sorry for myself because of a head cold… I suppose it was fitting that I had to make soup for this post- despite the warmer weather.
The “wild” thing about this Wild Rice and Mushroom soup is that I made it vegetarian… usually I prefer to use a chicken stock in my soups, but for my vegetarian friends, I had to try this out in it’s pure veggie form. Well, guess what? I wasn’t disappointed! Despite my stuffy nose, my taste buds danced at the bursts of thyme, the remnants of the white wine, and the softness of the cooked mushrooms. Complimented with firm, cooked wild rice and the tangy flavor of the sour cream this soup is a new favorite. Now, I am not interested in skipping over seasons but I can imagine using this recipe during the Czech mushroom season in the late autumn… oooooooh, that is already tasting so good in my imagination.. can you tell I am “wild” about this recipe!?! Enjoy…
Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
adapted from Oh My Veggies
I can imagine using this soup recipe during the late fall mushroom season in the Czech Republic – yum!
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 c. celery, chopped
1 c. carrots, chopped
1 medium shallot, chopped
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
salt + pepper to taste
1/3 c. white wine
1 tsp. dried thyme
4 c. vegetable broth
1 c. cooked wild rice
3/4 c. reduced-fat sour cream
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare rice according to directions on the package… this could take up to 1 hour!
- Heat olive oil in bottom of a medium soup pan on medium heat. Saute mushrooms, celery, carrots, and shallot until softened approx 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add white wine and thyme; increase heat to medium-high and cook 2 minutes more. (The flour might stick to the bottom of the pan but will release itself when soup broth is added later.)
- Add broth to pan and bring to a boil.
- Add cooked rice to the soup and stir in sour cream and parsley.
- Let simmer together for 5 minutes. You may need to use a whisk to mix up the sour cream- I did!
- Ladle into individual soup bowls and enjoy with a warm piece of bread slathered with butter- yum!