There’s nothing like chocolate cake, a chocolate birthday cake, chocolate cupcakes, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, chocolate cake with Nikki’s peanut butter frosting, chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting, or chocolate cake with mocha frosting. Any way you have it it is delicious in my opinion. When I moved to Prague I struggled with all the different kinds of flours available and what to use them for as when I was experimenting with substituting different flours for recipes that called for the traditional all-purpose flour, they didn’t seem to turn out quite right in my baked goods. Then I asked a colleague who was known for her baking after I tasted her “go-to” chocolate cake at a celebration and she pointed me to the “Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake” recipe. I mixed it up and it turned out fabulous. Then several years later I had to go gluten-free and went months without cake, then the craving for chocolate cake surfaced and I tried substituting the flour for a gluten-free flour mix and it turned out great. In fact, my friends who are not on a gluten-free diet didn’t even know they were gluten-free…..now that’s a compliment!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
recipe from Hershey’s Kitchens
- 2 cups sugar (krupice is the sugar I use here in Prague)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used Schar brand “Mix C” gluten-free flour)
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa (I use Orion brand kakao here in Prague)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder (needs to be gluten-free with the wheat free symbol on it)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING (recipe follows)
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- 2 Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 3 Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.VARIATIONS:
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.
THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.
BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.
CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
“PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.