I shared this new concoction with good friend Michelle who is a guest blogger on the Prague Basket at times and asked if she would like “a gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free lemon almond cookie) and she said, “Oh, I’d love a freedom bite!” Free from grains, white sugar and dairy products that is……I laughed out loud and said, “I love the name ‘freedom bites’, that just might have to stick!” So you too can whip up these delicious freedom bites with just about 10 minutes to combine the ingredients together.
I made my own almond flour my placing almonds in my coffee grinder that I only use for nuts and seeds until processed. There still ends up being little chunks of almonds which resembles more of an almond meal of sorts unlike a finely processed almond flour. Try it however you’d like it! I purchased my coconut oil at DM here in Prague but you can also pick it up at Country Life as well. They freeze well and you can pop them out of the freezer when you’re ready for a lemony sweet treat! Enjoy!
- 2 cups almond meal/flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp organic lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F.
- Combine almond meal, baking soda and salt in a food processor, and process until fine.
- Add coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon juice and lemon zest, and process until a dough ball forms.
- Scoop out about 1-2 Tbsp of dough, roll into a ball and place on baking tray.
- Gently press down.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes (mine took about 7 minutes), until just golden brown (after you remove them from the oven they will continue get darker).
- Let cool for 15-30 minutes (or they will fall apart).
- Yield: 13